Do you ever find yourself frustrated with your gel manicure after only a day or two of wear because it has already started to wrinkle? We’ve all been there! But fear not, we have the perfect solution for you.
In this blog post, I will show you how to get wrinkles out of gel polish and make your manicure last longer than ever before.
Gel Polish Wrinkles
Gel polish colors have been flying off the shelves for a few years now, and have become a staple for nail techs everywhere. More and more techs are going from strictly traditional polishes to gel because of their ease of use, chip-free wear, hard surface, etc. They’re also extraordinarily popular with women because they can achieve a salon-quality manicure in the comfort of their own homes.
Gel polish, however, is not without its downfalls. One common problem that tends to occur with gel polish is wrinkling. This happens when the gel polish on the nail expands and contracts due to changes in temperature or humidity. The result is an unattractive, wrinkled finish that can be difficult to fix.
Reasons why you might develop wrinkles on gel polish
- It is simply because the polish wasn’t applied evenly in the first place and has started to peel off in certain areas.
- The wrinkles may be caused by natural oils or sweat on your hands which can cause the gel polish to chip or peel.
- Mostly it’s because the gel polish is too old and becomes watery.
- The other reason is due to using low quality or expired UV lamps.
- Curing time too long, such as a cure for 30 seconds instead of 15-20 seconds will cause wrinkles.
- Use the wrong size on nail tip sizes (width) which will cause wrinkles too.
- Wrong thickness, especially when you apply top coat directly after cure (without wipe), that will cause bubbles on gel polishes.
- Bubbles are the same as wrinkles since it’s not smooth, but sometimes they can disappear after some time (when it becomes dry).
- When we don’t use a primer, it can cause our nails to yellow and then the gel polish doesn’t adhere well. So if you’re seeing wrinkles, it’s usually a sign that you need to re-do your entire manicure.
Materials on how to get wrinkles out of gel polish
- First, you’ll want to use the same gel polish that was used for your manicure.
- Also needed is an LED lamp or UV Lamp. If you don’t have one at home already, I would recommend either the 36 Watt nail dryer
- Lastly, you’ll also need 100% acetone polish remover. If your gel polishes are too thick or dry out, it can prevent the wrinkles from smoothing out all together. So make sure to use a thinner like Acetone Nail Polish Remover (16 oz) by .
Instructions on how to get wrinkles out of gel polish
- First, you’ll want to put a drop of acetone in the center of your nail and then place your finger under the lamp for 15-20 seconds. This will make sure that the skin around your nails is wet enough so it can be easily peeled off.
- Next, use a cuticle pusher or orange stick to gently push back the skin around your nails and then use a nail file to remove any excess polish.
- Now that your nails are prepped, take your acetone and soak a cotton ball in it. Then place the cotton ball on top of the wrinkles and then place your fingers back under the lamp for another 15-20 seconds.
- After that, remove the cotton ball and you should see most of the wrinkles smoothed out. If there are still some remaining lines simply repeat this process until they disappear completely!
- Now take a small pointed object like an eyeliner brush or toothpick and dip it into the acetone and then run it along the edge of your nails. This will clean up any polish that may have gotten on the skin around your nail and make sure they look smooth like a professional manicure!
- And finally, apply another layer of top coat to finish off this entire process by making sure you can last through anything life throws at you!
Your manicure is now complete, but just remember that you have to be very gentle with your nails from this point forward because any pressure or water can cause the wrinkle effect again!
To prevent wrinkles always make sure to use a base coat, top coat, and cuticle pusher. If you already have wrinkles, use a nail buffer to try and smooth them out before applying any more layers of polish. Don’t forget to apply some lotion to your nails after completing your manicure!
There are several things you can do to prevent wrinkles from occurring in your gel polish manicure.
- One of the easiest things you can do is to apply a top coat to your nails. This will help to seal in the polish and keep it looking fresh for longer.
- Another thing you can do is to avoid using harsh chemicals on your nails. Chemicals like acetone can damage the nail polish and cause it to chip and peel. Instead, try using a gentle nail polish remover that doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.
- You can also keep your nails hydrated by using a moisturizing lotion or cream. This will help to keep the nails healthy and strong, which will help to prevent them from becoming brittle and susceptible to wrinkles.
- Be sure to use a high-quality UV lamp.
- Make sure that you cure the polish for the correct amount of time (15-20 seconds).
- Wipe the tacky layer from your nails before you apply a top coat. If you do all of these things and still have problems, there’s a chance that your gel polish is too old or expired to use.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to prevent wrinkles from occurring in your gel polish manicure.
How to make your manicure last longer than ever before
When it comes to keeping your nails looking their best, there are a few things you can do to make sure your manicure lasts as long as possible. First, always use a good base coat and top coat. A base coat helps to protect your nails from staining, while a top coat helps to seal in the polish and gives your nails a shiny finish.
Another tip is to avoid using harsh chemicals or detergents on your hands. These can weaken your nails and cause them to chip and peel. Instead, try using a gentle hand soap or moisturizing lotion.
And finally, if you’re going to be doing a lot of hand washing or cleaning, try to limit the time you spend in water. Soaking your nails in water for a long time can cause them to swell and chip. Instead, try washing your hands quickly and gently patting them dry.
With a few simple steps, you can keep your nails looking their best for weeks at a time!
If you’re looking for a way to keep your nails looking their best, try using gel polish! With a few simple tips, you can prevent wrinkles and make your manicure last longer than ever before. And if you have any questions, be sure to check out our FAQs section!
Q: Can I use a top coat if my gel polish is already wrinkled?
A: No – using a top coat when you have wrinkles in your polish will only make the problem worse. If you have wrinkles in your polish, it’s best to remove all of the polish and start again.
Q: My nails are weak and brittle – can I still use gel polish?
A: If your nails are weak or brittle, it’s best to avoid using gel polish until they have had a chance to strengthen. You can try using a strengthening treatment
Q: Do I have to soak my nails in acetone before using gel polish?
A: No – you don’t need to soak your nails in acetone before applying gel nail polish. However, it can be helpful if your natural oils are covered with cotton balls soaked in pure acetone for 30 minutes prior to application. This will help the glue to adhere to your nails better.
Q: How long can I wear my gel polish?
A: You should try to keep the time you are wearing your nails with gel polish between one and three weeks, depending on how strong they are. If it starts chipping or peeling off earlier than that, consider switching back to regular nail lacquer until your nails have had a chance to strengthen.
Q: My nails are really dry – can I still use gel polish?
A: If your nails are really dry, it’s best to apply a layer of cuticle oil or cream before applying the gel nail polish. This will help to keep your nails hydrated and healthy!
Q: Can I use regular nail polish over my gel polish?
A: Yes, you can use regular nail lacquer over your gel polish. However, it’s not recommended to do this too often, as it can weaken the adhesive bond between the two polishes. If you’re going to be using regular nail polish over your gel nails, make sure to use a good top coat!