If you’ve ever been intrigued by the creative and intricate designs of overlay nails but weren’t sure how to get them done, then this is the blog post for you! In today’s post, we will be sharing everything you need to know about overlay nails – from what they are, to how to get them done, to what types of designs are popular. So if you’re curious about trying out overlay nails for yourself, keep reading!
What Are Overlay Nails?
Overlay nails, also called French manicure, is a popular nail art technique that involves painting the natural nail with a white color and using a brush to paint on top of the tip of the nail. This creates an illusion of having long fingernails.
This technique is most often used in combination with other nail designs, such as various patterns and embellishments. It can also be used on its own to create a monochrome look or painted over another color of polish.
Different Types Overlay Nails
Although overlay nails are typically long and white, they do come in different colors and lengths! Some common types of overlay nails include:
- Long and white
- Short and white (also known as French Tip)
- Short, pink, and with a flower design on top.
Steps for Getting a Natural Overlay Nails
To make sure your new manicure looks its best, be sure to follow these simple steps:
Step 1: File and shape your nails into the desired style.
Step 2: Soak your hands in warm water for a few minutes so that the cuticles are softened.
Step 3: Apply a thin coat of white nail polish to each nail and allow them to dry completely.
Step 4: Apply another thin coat of white polish and allow it to dry.
Step 5: Use a dotting tool or toothpick to create small dots at the top left corner of each nail, starting from the center outwards in an arching pattern. Then use your very tip (about half way down) to make tiny “v” shapes to connect the dots.
Step 6: Apply a top coat and enjoy!
Popular Overlay Nail Designs
If you still aren’t sure what kind of overlay nails design would be best suited for your needs, we suggest trying out some popular ones such as:
- Stripes (with different colors)
- Leopard Spots
- Dotted Glitter
- Floral Designs (with flowers or just leaves)
If you’re looking for a simple yet elegant design, then go with the white and black monochrome look! Or if you want to switch up your ombre nails game, try adding some overlay dots on top of them. The possibilities are endless!
Artificial Overlay Nails and Nail Products
You can create the perfect overlay nails with a variety of products. A professional looking, natural-looking set will be yours in no time.
Silk wraps as overlay nails
Silk wraps are a popular way to get the look of overlay nails without all the fuss. They’re also very durable and can last up to several weeks on your natural nail bed.
There are a variety of silk wrap products on the market, but we recommend choosing one that is 100% real silk. Avoid wraps made with synthetic materials as they can damage your nails in the long run.
How to apply:
Here is a simple step-by-step guide on how to apply overlay nails using a silk wrap:
Step 1: Start by gently pushing back your cuticles with a cuticle pusher or orange stick.
Step 2: Clean and buff your nails to remove any oils or debris.
Step 3: Apply a thin layer of adhesive to the nail bed and wait for it to dry completely (this usually takes about 60 seconds).
Step 4: Peel the wrap off of the adhesive sheet and place it on your nail.
Step 5: Smooth out any bumps or wrinkles with your fingers and use a cuticle pusher to push down around the edges of the wrap.
Step 6: Apply a top coat and wait for it to dry completely before you use your hands.
Here are some helpful tips you should keep in mind when using silk wraps:
- The adhesive material can be easy to tear, so it’s best if you use gentle pressure and avoid pulling the wrap.
- When applying a top coat over your overlay nails , never drag or slide the brush across them as this could cause damage and ruin your design. Instead, dab the brush on top of the nails and then release. This will help to seal in the wrap and keep it looking fresh for longer.
- If you have any adhesive or wrap residue on your nails, use a nail polish remover that is acetone-free to remove it without damaging your nails.
- Always keep your silk wraps in a clean, dry place to prevent them from getting damaged or dirty.
Nail Art Pens for Overlay Nails
Another popular way of achieving the perfect look is with nail art pens. They’re very easy and simple to use so you can get professional looking results every time!
Just apply a thin coat of polish to your overlay nails, then draw on any design you want using a small pointed tip.
- Use the nail art pens with a white or nude colored polish for best results as it gives a nice contrast against darker colors and patterns.
- Always make sure that the base color of your nails is completely dry before adding an overlay nail design. This will help to prevent the design from smudging and fading.
- If you make a mistake while drawing your design, use a cotton swab dipped in nail polish remover to erase it.
Acrylic nails are one of the most popular enhancements for natural nail enthusiasts. The process requires some practice, but it’s not impossible to learn if you find a skilled technician nearby.
Acrylic overlays are a great option for those looking to strengthen their natural nails. With the added strength, there’s less chance that they’ll break or split which is why nail technicians recommend using acrylics on top of any other types of overlay products such as fake fingernails and toe rings.
Tips for acrylic overlay nails
- File and shape your nails into the desired style before starting.
- Soak your hands in warm water for a few minutes so that the cuticles are softened.
- Apply a thin coat of white nail polish to each nail and allow them to dry completely.
- Apply a thin coat of acrylic product over the nails, working from one side to another in straight lines using an orange stick or brush. Put your fingers under UV light for about two minutes until the product is completely dried.
- Repeat this process twice more so that there are three layers of acrylic.
- Apply a thin coat of glue to the nails and sprinkle on some fine glitter so that it sticks. Allow them to dry under UV light for about two minutes. Then go over the nails again with another layer of acrylic, allowing each nail to dry before moving onto the next one in line. Put your fingers back under the UV light until the product is completely dry.
- Repeat this process twice more so that there are three layers of acrylic and glitter on each nail.
- Apply a thin coat of glue to the nails again, but only do one hand at a time while you’re working with it under your lamp. Sprinkle some larger pieces of glitter over the nail and then go back under the light until dry.
When finished, use an orange stick to smooth out any bumps or imperfections. Allow them to dry completely before applying a top coat polish to protect everything you’ve just done!
Overlay Gel Nails
Gel overlay nails are similar to acrylics, but the process is a bit different. They’re also a good choice for those who want to avoid using harsh chemicals on their nails. Gel overlay nails are much stronger than your typical acrylics and can keep their shape for up to four weeks.
Gel overlays work by applying a very thin layer of gel product over the natural nail, creating an even base that is then cured under UV light until completely dry. Then you simply do all the same steps as listed above with acrylic overlay nails.
Dip Powder Overlay Nails
This is a great option for those who want to avoid putting harsh chemicals on their nails. Dip powder overlay nail kits include everything you need including the brush and light, which makes it super easy to do at home! All you have to do is follow the instructions provided with your kit (which usually consist of applying two layers of base coat color).
After your nails are dry, dip the brush into the powder and then lightly tap it against the side of the jar to shake off any excess. Hold your hand up above the light so that you can see where you’re applying the powder and start at the cuticle, dipping down about a third of the way on each nail. Gently brush the powder over the entire nail, making sure to get into the corners and then hold it under the light for about 45 seconds.
Repeat this process on all of your nails, applying two layers of dip powder. Once they’re all done, apply a top coat polish and you’re good to go!
Polygel Overlay Nails
Polygel overlay nails are a relatively new product on the market, but they’re gaining in popularity because of their strength and natural-looking finish.
They work by applying a very thin layer of gel product over the natural nail, creating an even base that is then cured under UV light until completely dry. Then you simply do all the same steps as listed above with acrylic overlay nails.
The best part about polygel overlay nails is that they can be filed and shaped like your natural nails, so there’s no need to go to a professional for upkeep. You can do it all at home.
There are a few different brands of polygel that you can try, but it’s important to look for the words “similar to acrylic” on your product label because this means that they’re easy to apply.
Polygel overlay nails will last about four weeks and then need removing (you’ll know when they start chipping or looking dull). You can either use a polygel nail remover or acetone to remove them.
Overlay nails are a great choice for anyone who wants to make their natural nails stronger or change up their look.
With so many different overlay nails products available, it’s easy to see why this technique is becoming more and more popular! So if you’re looking for a fun new way to spice up your nails game, then give the French manicure with an added twist of white or black polish at its finest – you won’t regret it!