Many women who want to have beautiful nails might be wondering if they can utilize regular nail polish along with a gel top coat. The answer is yes, but the results will vary depending on the type of polish and top coat that you choose.
In this article we answer the question; Can You Use Regular Nail Polish And A Gel Top Coat?
Regular Nail Polish And A Gel Top Coat
Nail polish can be used with a gel top coat to give your nails an extra pop of color. Gel polishes tend to dry faster than regular polishes, so it is important that you begin applying it on your nails right after the base coat has completely dried.
Regular nail polish can be used to protect the nails from chipping, but it’s important that you wait until your regular coat has dried before applying gel topcoat.
Why Should the Regular Polish Dry First?
Your gel top coat is made up of chemicals like ethyl acetate and butyl acetate, which dry as fast as possible. If the polish underneath isn’t completely dry before you apply it, then your nails can easily get messed up.
However, if you decide to use a gel topcoat on your nail polish instead for whatever reason, it’s important that you take note of the drying time and make sure to apply the topcoat within two hours.
Otherwise, your nails will chip very easily.
How to Remove Gel Topcoat with Warm Water?
Gel topcoat is different from nail polish in the sense that you need to use acetone to remove the gel top coat. A nail polish can be easily removed with warm water and some soap, while gel nails will require a special remover product which contains more chemicals.
If you’re having trouble removing your gel topcoat, then you can try soaking your nails in a bowl of acetone for about fifteen minutes. Just make sure that you don’t soak them for too long or else your nails will start to peel.
However, this will cause some stain to your nails, so it’s important that you use a good nail polish remover to remove the gel topcoat and then apply a nourishing cuticle oil.
Steps in Applying Gel Topcoat On a Regular Nail Polish
You want to buy gel nail polish but are unsure of the steps in applying it? Many people who try out this form of manicure become hooked, as it is hard to go back to traditional nail polishes.
Gel topcoats are now available for those who do not wish or cannot afford to get a professional gel manicure, yet still want the look of long-lasting nails. There are several simple steps you can take to apply a gel topcoat over your nail polish.
The following guide will show you how to properly apply the topcoat, ensuring that your nails will last for up to two weeks:
1. Apply a thin coat of nail polish to your nails. Allow it to dry thoroughly. To prevent your gel top coat from bubbling, wait at least 3 hours for your nail polish to fully dry.
2. Apply a thin coat of the gel topcoat over the dried nail polish. Allow it to dry thoroughly. Cure your nails under a UV or LED light for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Tips When Using Gel Topcoat Over Nail Polish
A few important notes to remember when using a gel topcoat over nail polish:
1. Apply the nail polish and then your gel top coat in one single, continuous motion. Do not stop or you will leave a gap between the two coats of product.
2. Only use this method with UV light curing gel polishes. LED gel polishes should be cured in 30-second bursts.
3. Keep your nails moist for three days. Stop using nail polish remover at least two days before you start this process to prevent the top coat from peeling off prematurely.
4. If you are short on time, only leave the gel topcoat to dry for one minute under the UV or LED light. However, doing this will decrease the wear time of your nails.
5. Do not use a top coat that is too thick as it will not dry properly and could lead to bubbling.
6. Always use a gel topcoat over nail polish for the longest-lasting results.
7. If you are new to gel nails, try applying a thin coat of nail polish on your nails for two nights. You will get the same manicure with less risk of bubbling or peeling.
8. Pay attention to how long it takes for your top coat to cure under the UV light before replacing the cap on the bottle. It will take a minute for most top coats.
9. Keep your gel top coat away from heat, as this will cause it to prematurely dry and crack.
Caring For Gel Nails Over Regular Polish
Remember, your gel nails will need some care, especially during the first few days after application. You should avoid using nail polish remover, as this can weaken the adhesive and cause the top coat to peel off. Instead, use a non-acetone remover or take your nails off using a cuticle pusher.
In order to keep your nails looking their best for up to two weeks, follow these tips:
1. Avoid exposing your nails to water for long periods of time.
2. Use a soft cloth to polish your nails dry after washing your hands.
3. Apply a thin layer of cuticle oil or cream to your nails every day to keep them hydrated.
4. If you are using gel nail polish as a base coat, do not use a regular top coat. This could cause the nails to chip and peel prematurely.
5. Keep your nails filed and shaped in order to prevent them from breaking.
6. If you are using a gel topcoat, do not use a regular base coat as this can also lead to chipping and peeling.
7. Do not use your nails as a tool to open things. This can cause them to break or chip.
8. If you have acrylic nails, do not use this top coat as it will not adhere properly.
9. Allow your nails to rest for at least two days after removing the gel topcoat. Do not use any type of nail polish or top coat for at least 72 hours after taking off the gel nails.
10. Your nails will require around 21 days to fully recover. After this time, you can start another 28-day cycle of applying a gel topcoat over nail polish.
11. Do not use your nails as tools or open anything with them during the 72-hour resting period. You can still do your regular day-to-day activities, but try to be gentle with your nails.
Gel topcoat over nail polish is a great way to get the best of both worlds – a long-lasting manicure with the ease of using a regular top coat. Just remember to follow these tips, use a gel topcoat for the best results and keep your nails hydrated by applying cuticle oil or cream every day.
So, can you use a gel top coat over a nail polish? The answer is yes, but make sure the nail polish is fully dry. Pay attention to how long it takes for your top coat to cure under the UV light and follow the instructions on the bottle. You can also find out more ideas here.