It’s always a wise idea to take care of your nails after getting gel polish done. Gel polish manicures are the latest trend, but they don’t last as long as regular nail polishes because of their strength and durability. Don’t worry, though!
There are ways to Strengthen Nails After Gel Polish that will extend the life of your beautiful new look without sacrificing quality.
How to Strengthen Nails After Gel Polish
Gel polish manicures are a popular choice for many people because they last for weeks without chipping. However, there is a downside to getting this type of manicure – the nails can be weak and brittle after removal.
Here are some tips for strengthening your nails after a gel polish manicure:
1. Use a nail strengthener.
There are many different types of nail strengtheners on the market, so find one that works best for you. You can find them at drugstores, beauty supply stores, or online.
2. Apply a coat of nail polish every day.
This may seem like a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the end to strengthen your nails and make them more beautiful.
3. Eat a healthy diet.
The foods you eat will show on your nails, so make sure to eat plenty of protein and avoid foods that are high in sugar if you want to have strong, healthy nails. Don’t smoke as this can also damage your nails.
4. Avoid using your nails as tools.
This includes opening cans, using a screwdriver, or picking at your nails. All of these activities can cause your nails to become weak and brittle.
5. Moisturize your hands and nails regularly.
This will help keep your nails healthy and hydrated.
6. Apply a generous amount of cuticle oil to your nails and skin around them before going to bed each night.
7. Use a nail file with a rough side and a smooth side.
File in one direction, then the other. After filing, use an emery board or buffing block to smooth the edge of the nail.
8. Keep your hands out of water, especially hot water.
9. Avoid using a nail polish that contains formaldehyde and toluene as these chemicals can cause damage to the nails and cuticles.
10. Use a good nail polish removal product designed for use with gel or acrylic nails.
11. Cut your nails straight across and not too short.
If you have very short nails, they are more likely to break, so try to leave at least a ¼-inch of nail bed above the cuticle.
12. Don’t use your nails as a tool to scratch yourself or someone else.
This may seem like an obvious one, but it’s easy to do when you’re stressed out or annoyed.
13. Be patient.
It can take a while for your nails to recover their strength after a gel polish manicure, so be patient and follow these tips diligently.
With a bit of time and effort, you can have beautiful, strong nails that will last for weeks – even after a gel polish manicure!
How Can a Gel Polish Strengthen Your Nails?
Nails are made of a tough protein called keratin. Basically, when you get a manicure or pedicure with gel polish, the nail technician is adding color and protection to your nails and sealing in moisture.
There can be some side effects to this type of treatment, however. It’s possible that the damage caused by gel polish removal can make your nails weak and prone to breaking. If you’re looking for a way to give your nails some extra strength, consider using a gel top coat in addition to your regular polish.
- A good quality gel top coat will add thickness and protection to your nails, while also sealing in the color and moisture from your regular polish. This is one of the best ways to protect your nails from damage.
- The top coat is also a good way to strengthen your nails over time, as it gives them a tough exterior that protects them from chips and cracks.
Some benefits of using gel polish on your nails are:
- Added color and shine
- Protection against chips and cracks
- Seal in moisture for softer nails
- Can help strengthen weak nails over time.
If you’re looking for a way to give your nails some extra protection, consider using a gel top coat in addition to your regular polish. It’s a great way to keep your nails looking their best!
Applying Gel Polish
One way to get a professional-looking manicure is to apply gel polish. This type of polish comes in a variety of colors and can last up to two weeks without chipping. In order to apply gel polish, you will need to:
- Remove old gel polish – if you still have gel polish on your nails, remove it with a nail file and buffer in a circular motion. Buff the top of the nail – buff the top of the nails with a fine-grit nail file so they are all relatively smooth to the touch.
- Avoid over-buffing – if you buff the nails too much, they will become thin and weak. Soak your nails in a gel polish soak off solution – this will help to soften the gel polish and make it easier to remove.
- Remove the gel polish with a cuticle pusher – use a cuticle pusher to gently push back the cuticles and then remove the gel polish. Finish up with a nail file and buffer – use a nail file and buffer to smooth out any rough edges on the nails.
- Cut your nails shorter as desired – if you want your nails to be shorter, use a nail clipper to trim them to the desired length.
- Moisturize and use a dehydrator – after you apply your nail polish, moisturize your hands and then use a dehydrator to help the nails dry faster. This will help prevent chipping.
- Apply thin gel primer as base coat – some people recommend applying a gel primer as a base coat before you apply the gel polish. This will help to create a stronger bond between the polish and your nails.
- Apply thin gel top coat – after you have applied the primer, apply a thin layer of gel top coat. Allow it to dry completely before you do anything else.
- Clean your nails – to clean your nails, use a lint-free wipe dipped in acetone to remove any dust or excess gel.
Applying gel polish is a great way to get a professional-looking manicure at home. In order to apply it, you will need to remove any old gel polish, buff the nails, soak them in a gel polish soak off solution, remove the gel polish with a cuticle pusher, and finish up by filing and buffing them. You may also want to apply a thin layer of primer as a base coat and a thin layer of top coat.
Finally, use a lint-free wipe dipped in acetone to clean your nails and remove any excess gel.
How to Carefully Remove Gel Polish
When you’re ready to remove your gel polish, it is recommended that you use a method of removal which doesn’t damage the natural nail.
Using a Gelish Brand
With a high-quality product like Gelish, you can continue getting your nails done at the salon and not worry about quality! If you’re looking for a high-quality product that can be used as both an undercoat and top coat, then the Gelish brand is also what we recommend.
This kit is the perfect fix for those who have been waiting to recover their weak, thin nails after gel polish. You can use this product as a hardener and repair your damaged skin until it grows out!
Removing Gel Polish with Acetone
If you’re looking for a more affordable option, acetone can be used to remove gel polish, but it is not recommended as it can damage the natural nail.
Be sure to use an acetone-based nail polish remover and not an acetone-free one, as the acetone is what will help to break down the gel polish.
Instructions for Removing Gel Polish with Acetone:
1. Soak your cotton ball in acetone then apply to your nail gently.
2. Wrap with an aluminum foil around your finger and secure it with a band or hair tie.
3. Leave the acetone on your nail for 5-10 minutes.
4. Remove your cotton ball and aluminum foil and use a cuticle pusher or orange stick to remove the polish from your nail.
5. Buff your nails with a buffer to remove any remaining polish and smooth out the surface of your nail.
6. Apply a nourishing cuticle oil or cream to your nails and massage it in.
7. Repeat as needed until all of the gel polish is removed.
8. Be sure to moisturize your nails after removing the polish, as they may be a bit dry or damaged.
9. Continue using a high-quality nail polish like Gelish to keep your nails strong and healthy! Scrape off the gel polish on your nails.
3. Buff your nails with a buffer to remove any remaining polish and smooth out the surface of your nail.
4. Apply a nourishing cuticle oil or cream to your nails and massage it in.
5. Repeat as needed until all of the gel polish is removed.
6. Be sure to moisturize your nails after removing the polish, as they may be a bit dry or damaged.
7. Continue using high-quality nail polish like Gelish to keep your nails strong and healthy!
Applying a gel polish on your nails provides a professional-looking manicure. Nails can be strengthened after gel polish with base coat, thin layer of top coat and acetone nail remover method if needed. Finally, use a lint-free wipe dipped in acetone to clean your nails and remove any excess gel.