Many people who get a gel manicure wonder what is wrong with their nails. They look like they are not shiny and seem to be dull and lifeless. This is caused by the polish on the nail bed drying out, which can happen if you don’t keep your nail dry for long periods of time. In this blog post, we answer the question; Why Is Gel Manicure Not Shiny?
To prevent this from happening, try taking frequent breaks from activities such as typing or cooking so that you don’t sweat it off too quickly!
Why Is Gel Manicure Not Shiny
The most frequent problems that cause dull gels are cured, file grit, and oil residue on the nail. If gel isn’t cured for an entire recommended time it can appear cloudy and dull.
Here are some of the top reasons:
- Topcoat is not properly cured – This is the most common reason, and it happens when you don’t let your topcoat “cure” long enough. The curing time for UV-gel polish ranges from 30 to 60 seconds to two minutes at a salon.
- Using the wrong kind of cleanser – The cleanser that removes gel polish should be formulated specifically for this purpose. Using any type of soap or oil will cause the nail to lose its shine and dullness can set in quickly.
- There is some oil residue – If the skin around your nails is greasy, it can cause yellowing.
- Inadequate UV light – Not using a UV light for the recommended curing time can also lead to dullness.
- Wrong curing angle – When you cure gel polish, the light should be shining down on it from above. If cured at too steep of an angle, it can cause clouding and dullness.
- Buffing is done excessively – Excessive buffing can cause your gel to lose its shine.
If you are using a gritty file it can cause the top layer of your gel polish to become rough, leading to an un-shiny look. Finally, if there is oil residue on your nails it will stop the light from reflecting off of them correctly and make them look lackluster.
Preventing Dull Gel Manicure Outcome
While all these things might seem like they are inevitable, there are a few simple things you can do to prevent them from happening.
First of all, don’t over-fill your nails! This will only make the surface rough and dull looking. Make sure you use a gentle file or buffer on your gel manicure to keep it smooth and glossy throughout wear time.
Secondly, if you’ve seen your gel manicure start to turn cloudy then you might be able to save it with another coat of clear topcoat. If this doesn’t work, don’t worry! Just remove the old polish and reapply a fresh new layer for an extended wear time.
Finally, make sure that you are always applying cuticle oil or moisturizer before you go to bed so that your nails are kept hydrated. This will help keep them shiny and give you the best possible results!
It is important that you follow the specific instructions of each brand for best results and do not alter them as they are created by professionals. You should also avoid using any product around the nails that may have oil or other chemicals in it, such as hand cream, lotion, soap, etc.
If you are having trouble getting your gel to shine, it is best to go back to the salon and ask them what you can do to correct the problem.
Factors that Affect the Shine of Your Gel Manicure
There are a few factors that can affect how long your gel manicure lasts and how shiny it looks.
Following these tips can help you keep your nails looking their best:
1. Use a quality base coat: A good base coat is essential for creating a smooth surface for your polish to adhere to. It also helps to prolong the life of your mani. Look for a base coat that is free of toluene, formaldehyde or DBP which are all possible irritants.
2. Moisturize your hands: When your hands are well moisturized the natural oils help protect your nails. Dry nails are more likely to chip and break.
3. Choose the right top coat: A good top coat will be free of toluene, formaldehyde or DBP which are all possible irritants. It will also create a smooth surface for your polish to adhere to. Fast dry top coats can have a negative effect on the shine of your nails.
4. Keep your nails clean: Dirt and oils can cause your nails to look dull. Be sure to clean your nails regularly with a gentle soap and water.
5. Avoid using harsh chemicals: Harsh chemicals, like acetone, can weaken your nails and cause them to become brittle.
6. Use a gentle hand cleaner: Hand soaps and washes can contain harsh chemicals and fragrances that will cause your nails to weaken and look dull.
7. Avoid soaking your hands: While it is important to keep your hands clean, avoid submerging them in water for extended periods of time as this can dry them out, leading to weak and brittle nails.
8. Use cuticle oil: A good cuticle oil can help keep your nails hydrated and looking healthy.
9. File in one direction: Filing your nails in one direction helps to prevent them from splitting and chipping.
10. Use a quality nail polish: Using a high-quality nail polish can make a difference in how long your manicure lasts. Look for a brand that is free of toluene, formaldehyde and DBP which are all possible irritants.
11. Keep nails at a 45 degree angle: For best results, keep the file parallel with the cuticle when filing your nails. Filing them at a 45-degree angle helps to prevent them from splitting and chipping.
12. Use a buffer: A buffer can help to remove any ridges or imperfections on the surface of your nails and leave them looking smooth and shiny.
13. Don’t pick at your polish: Picking at your polish can cause it to chip and look uneven. If you do happen to snag your polish, use a gentle nail polish remover on a cotton swab to help remove the smudge.
If you follow these tips, you can help to keep your gel manicure looking shiny and beautiful for weeks on end.
Why are Gel Manicure Products Important?
Gel manicure products are vital to the gel manicure process because they create a durable bond with your nails. The most popular of these is a product called Liquid & Powder.
A liquid monomer and powder polymers come together to create a strong bond with your nails when applied under a UV or LED lamp for 30 to 60 seconds. This bond will last for 14 to 20 days.
The liquid monomer is applied first, taking just seconds to dry before moving on to the powder components. The gel manicure will then take two minutes or less under the UV or LED lamp.
Liquid & Powder gel manicure products are highly preferred by professional nail artists because they create a strong bond and make application fast and easy. By utilizing Gel Manicure Products, you’ll get an incredible manicure that will last for 4 weeks.
What are Liquid & Powder Gel Manicure Products?
When designing gel manicures, manufacturers mix monomers with polymers. It’s the combination of these two components that creates a unique bond with your nail.
The monomer is a liquid that reacts to the catalyst after being exposed to an LED or UV lamp. The polymer is a powder that creates a strong, protective layer over your nails.
In general, they are as follows:
Liquid Monomer – This is a thin substance that penetrates and dries quickly. In the presence of a UV or LED lamp, it will react with a catalyst and form a polymer.
Powder Polymer – This is a thick substance that is applied to nails in two coats. It will dry under a UV or LED lamp in two minutes or less, forming a hard and durable film.
Why are they important?
In order to have a durable manicure, you need a strong bond between the nail and the gel application. The liquid monomer penetrates your nails, creating a solid foundation.
The powder polymer then goes on top of that to form a protective cover that’s hard and scratch-resistant. When done properly, this process will result in a manicure that lasts for up to 4 weeks.
Liquid & Powder Gel Manicure products are the preferred method by professional nail artists because they’re easy to use and create a durable bond. If you’re looking for a long-lasting manicure, these products are the way to go.
Conclusion on Having Shiny Gel Manicure
Having a shiny gel manicure is important because it helps to prevent chipping and splitting. When done properly, you can have your nails looking smooth and glossy for up to four weeks at time!
By utilizing Gel Manicure Products , following the proper application process, using quality products, keeping your hands moisturized before applying nail polish, avoiding acetone and following a routine of regular manicures, you’ll get the long-lasting and shiny gel nails that will make your friends envious.